This is a delicious hardy soup great for an autumn day. This recipe makes about 8 entree sized servings. Serve with a piece of crusty sourdough for a great meal.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 8 oz baby carrots
- 1/2 bunch celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- 2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups lentils
- 1 large potato cubed
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh spinach
In a large stock pot over high heat:
- Cook sausage until browned and cooked
- Add carrots & celery – stir frequently four about 5 minutes or until onions are soft
- Add garlic, cayenne, paprika, cumin, and oregano. Stir to incorporate fully (about 1 minute)
- Add chicken stock, lentils & potato. Cook for about 45 minutes or until lentils are soft and potato is cooked.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hot over fresh spinach.